Wednesday, February 20, 2008

caucus -- hawaii

So, last night was the Hawaii caucus. I thought about writing about it last night, but by writing today I now know what the results are.

OBAMA WON HAWAII!
(by like 3 to 1)
Which makes me happy since I voted for him. So now he's got a 10 state win streak! Anyways, I wasn't standing in line as long as I thought. In fact I showed up at 6:45 (voting started at 7) and I ended up getting out of there by 8:15. In all honesty, I was prepared to be there for hours, long into the night. To make the wait even better volunteers were passing out food. So, way more people showed up than was intended. That was apparent to all of us waiting in line when they ran out of forms to register for the Democratic Party of Hawaii and had to run over to Kinko's to copy more. It was also apparent because they ran out of ballots and we just had to write our choice on a piece of paper and dump it in with all the other "ballots." Even though it wasn't as organized as I thought it would be, I'm still very glad that I went.
I don't think that anyone else in my imediate family has been to a caucus. Partly I'm glad because the person I voted for won the state, but also because I feel like I did my duty as a citizen and that feels good. Even though this was a caucus and I didn't have to stand in a booth to vote it was a good experience. I'm not sure when I'll get to vote in a booth, which I would like to do at some point since I think I'll be in Oregon next fall so I'll have to vote absentee, but I guess that doesn't much matter.
Maybe it's just me, but I had a lot of fun.

No comments: