Thursday, November 22, 2007

thankful -- happy thanksgiving!

thank·ful [ˈthaŋk-fəl] - adj
expressive of thanks (m-w)

Many people have to think hard of something to be thankful for on Thanksgiving. However, Eva Betts doesn't have think to hard. Betts has been working at the Cosentinos Market in Brookside, MO for over a decade. An excellent worker, Manager Mark Lenz also describes her good nature. "When she's done working 40 to 50 hours here, she goes to the hospital and donates her time to children and the elderly."

An elderly man, Carl Hanzeilious had been coming to the grocery store for a while and Betts had always greeted him and would help him out. He lived alone and she wanted him to know that someone cared. "As the years went on, he became gradually disabled. I would help him shop for his groceries and just visit. And when he got sick, I'd go visit him at St. Luke's Hospital and cheer him up a little bit."

The two had grown close and Hanzeilious recently passed away. Little did Betts know, Hanzeilious had left her a $15,000 check for her hospitality. She recently received a letter from the bank and was shocked. But, for those who work with Betts, it is no surprise.

Hanzeilious is "a man she says she'll never forget." (kctv5)



Due to what everyone has to say about Ms. Betts, she in my mind deserves this without a doubt. I wish that we all knew someone like her or at least had something to be thankful for. Don't get me wrong, there's something that we all can be thankful for, but something that comes to mind quickly.

I guess I'll share what I'm thankful for. I'm thankful for all the wonderful people in my life that I can turn to with any mishaps, but that's probably no surprise. I'm also thankful for my family, no surprise there either. I think mostly I'm glad that I have the life I'm currently living, that I have the opportunity to attend college and to do most of the things that I really want to do. I know that sometimes I really hate my life, especially when I'm disappointed in myself, but that fact that I can be disappointed in myself is nice, in a sense. I'm thankful too for knowing what exactly I want to do with my life and being able to think about the things I do now and how they'll affect my future. Perhaps it's a little optimistic and it'll never allow me to become an existentialist, but I like knowing exactly where I want to be each year or my life, within reason. And thanks Brad, for being the one who seems to consistently read this.




And by the way,

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

She totally does deserve that... If only the world were full of people like her, and others as grateful as Hanzeilious... it'd be a really wonderful place to live.

For me, it's these kinds of small things I hear about that remind me that the world's not so bad after all. Thanksgiving's a holiday that helps me to remember that.

It gave me that weird tingly feeling all over when I read your thanks specifically for me... Sorry for being awkward, but yeah...

And thank you for being one of few people who actually listens to the things I have to say.

Happy Turkey Day!