Sunday, January 20, 2008

lying -- most common

I heard a story which I'm pretty sure was on NPR's All Things Considered, but I could be mistaken and it was all about lying. They said how men lie more than women with about 5 versus 3 lies respectively per day. The number of times per year that we lie was stated, some insanely high number that I forgot. Anyways, the story seems like it could be from Relevant Magazine as they have a very very similar story.

Anyways, it seems that the most commonly used lie is "there's nothing wrong with me, I'm fine." I am not surprised by that at all.

Other lies that didn't make it to the most common, but are well liked are:
"Nice to see you."
"Sorry I missed your call."
"I'll call you back soon."

Agree? I do, a lot of those are statements that people say all the time, but generally you can tell by their expressions if they're lying or not...unless they're just a really good liar.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yep, I'm not at all surprised by the number one on that list... If I had a nickel for every time my ex said that to me...

I like the popular ones too! Hehe I wonder how many times I might've used those as a lie...